In this week’s campaigns update:
Stand with London Met UCU
The union’s dispute at London Metropolitan University stepped up a gear this week with strike action announced for next Thursday 29 September. UCU is campaigning against drastic cuts and redundancies and also the sacking of long standing union reps Mark Campbell and David Hardman.
What you can do:
• Tweet/Facebook your support messages and photos using the poster here and tag #WeStandWithLMetUCU
• If you’re in the London area please visit picket lines and join the strike rally at 12 midday, Tower Building, Holloway Road, N7 8DB.
• Join one of the local solidarity protests in UCU branches across the UK.
Stop the cuts at Hull College
UCU members at Hull College are also being balloted for action against management plans to make over 140 staff redundant – many in essential areas such as library and IT services, college counselling, learning support, and nurseries. Please send messages of support to our local rep Dave Langcaster email@example.com and also write to the chief executive Gary Warke to condemn this attack on hardworking and dedicated college staff: Gary.Warke@hull-college.ac.uk
Also this week:
1. In the news
2. FE England pay: Association of Colleges (AoC) make a final offer
3. United for Education: UCU and NUS demonstration, Saturday 19 November
4. Your views wanted: House of Lords Brexit inquiry
5. Protest at the Tory conference in Birmingham, Sunday 2 October
6. Stand Up for Education conference, Manchester, 15 October
7. UCU trustee, general secretary, national officer and NEC elections in 2017 – nominations now open
8. Vacancy on the board of the Education and Training Foundation (ETF)
9. ‘Teachers will not be silenced’, World Teachers Day, Wednesday 5 October
10. Challenging the HE Bill: Third Convention for Higher Education
Please click here.