1. Higher education (HE) pay campaign: closing the gender pay gap 2. Fair pay in further education 3. In the news 4. Stamp out casual contracts: our campaign needs you! 5. Refugees welcome: stand up to racism events, 19 March 6. People’s Assembly march: 16 April 7. Improve your classroom management skills with UCU’s free professional development courses 8. Events and publications 1. Higher education (HE) pay campaign: closing the gender pay gapThis week, as we approach International Women’s Day (Tuesday 8 March), the union has been highlighting the inequality facing those working in HE. The battle for fair pay involves everyone not just women and achieving transparent pay and promotion criteria in universities is a UCU priority.
4. Stamp out casual contracts: our campaign needs you! Campaigning for more secure employment in education is a priority for UCU and there is a meeting for members on casual contracts, on 11 March where our new anti-casualisation committee will be elected. If you would like to get active in this campaign and are interested in putting yourself forward please send in a short supporting statement (200 words) email@example.com by 8 March. To be eligible members must be employed on a casual contract, or currently unemployed but have been employed on a casual contract within the past two years.
5. Refugees welcome: stand up to racism events, 19 March To mark the United Nations (UN) international day for the elimination of racial discrimination UCU is supporting the ‘Refugees welcome – stand up to racism, islamophobia, anti-Semitism and fascism’ demonstrations on Saturday 19 March in London, Cardiff and Glasgow. UCU general secretary Sally Hunt will be speaking at the London event.
London demo assembles 12 noon, BBC Portland Place, London, W1A 1AA
7. Improve your classroom management skills with UCU’s free professional development courses There are still some places available on the following classroom management courses, which are free to all members. More details and registration: Classroom management – Luton, 19 April Classroom management - Newcastle, 4 April 2016
8. Events and publications Defending further and adult education conference, 5 March 2016 This initiative taken by London region UCU will discuss how we can build a movement to defend the sector and put forward alternatives to the government’s cuts agenda. Gordon Marsden, shadow minister for lifelong learning will be addressing the event. SOAS, central London, Saturday 5 March, 10:30am. Register here.
Celebrate International Women’s Day 8 March Each year International Women's Day is celebrated across the globe on 8 March as an opportunity to draw attention to the struggle for women's rights. You can find UCU postcards and a special film ‘A woman’s place is in the union’ here.
Getting involved in UCU – a course for black members new to activism This one day course is specifically designed for UCU black members who are interested in becoming more involved with UCU. The course will also include a professional development session about leadership. For more details and to check entry criteria please use this link.
Unsubscribe: If you do not wish to receive these messages from the UCU campaigns team, please send a blank email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following subject line: set ucu-central setfield(optout_campaigns=Y)
We would very much wish for you to continue receiving important messages from UCU. However, if you wish to stop receiving all messages, send a blank email to: email@example.com
If you have problems unsubscribing - as can happen if your email differs from the one we have for you - please forward this email requesting you be unsubscribed to: firstname.lastname@example.org